As a blogger / travel writer, I’m occasionally asked what my policies are regarding reviews of places or things. The following is a summary, meant to be followed in spirit and word:
- I travel anonymously, except where reservations are required and a name must be given. Since I’m not exactly a household name in the travel industry, I don’t (yet) see the need to give a fake name.
- I pay my own way when I travel, eat, and pay admission or activity fees. Chris in South Korea will disclose any compensated reviews or freebies received that are related to a post in question. Any compensated reviews written are my own words, as are the sentiments inside.
- While I have no intention to ‘bash’ a destination, I also don’t sugar-coat a review. My goal is truthfulness and an unbiased perspective.
- I have not – and will not – give a positive review to a place / thing / product simply because I’m compensated or receive a freebie. Life’s too short for that.
- I do accept sponsored posts or sponsored reviews, and such posts will be clearly marked as such. I’m more interested in providing a good resource than making a quick buck.